Friday, March 9, 2012

Scripts: Knowing just enough to be helpful or dangerous?


First of all, there really isn't a chance that the script I've put together is 'dangerous' but the title is at least catchy if you're reading this. I've benefitted a lot from the MCQ and Remove Duplicates scripts created by Romain Vialard in the Google Apps Script gallery. I have always had them included in the templates I've shared but I have now put them together in one script and added a menu function that should load when you download the newest templates. (Click here for the script if you want to install it yourself on a template you already have.) I know very little about scripts and programming but was pretty good at piecing together html in the late 90's so this felt pretty similar to that.

The menu will allow you to clear all past student submissions, remove duplicate entries in one click, get the form url and also get the spreadsheet key if you're using one of my shared dashboards. I have the "Clear All Responses" option at the bottom because that wouldn't be good to accidentally click that one. I'm excited about having an integrated menu and hope that it adds some user-friendliness to the whole process.

If anyone knows how to set a trigger (see more here) from the menu or change this script so that a trigger is automatically set to run the 'sendemailonformsubmit' function that would be a huge help for many uncomfortable with setting a trigger. I'm not even sure if it's possible at this point.

If you're interested in collaborating on this it'd be really cool to have the email reports look more like the individual student results tab in the spreadsheet when they're sent out but that goes beyond my skills at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment